Creative Soul Sustainable Waste


With many new little people coming into this world it is imperative that we teach our children about sustainable practices both in living and business to ensure we as a collective bring in the changes required to make tomorrow Great!!

Creative Soul Sustainable Developments (NPC), (Creative Soul / CS) is a non-profit company focused on implementing sustainable solutions to the most pressing issues currently being faced in South Africa.

Nearly half the adult population of South Africa lives in poverty. The South African government measures poverty by three threshold points. The upper-bound poverty line (UBPL) indicates an income of 1,183 Rand per month. On the other hand, the lower-bound and food poverty lines indicate incomes of 785 Rand and 547 Rand respectively, a mere R 17,50 per day. According to the Department of Statistics in South Africa, 49.2% of the population over the age of 18 falls below the upper-bound poverty line. 

The COVID-19 pandemic has exacerbated many of the underlying issues surrounding poverty in the country. It has significantly increased unemployment resulting in increased hunger and food insecurity. The unemployment rate for 2020 was 30,8%.

Rural areas have the highest poverty concentration driving increased rural-to-urban migration. Increased urbanisation is a contributing factor to the growth of informal settlements due to a lack in affordable housing supply to meet the demand, particularly in areas well-located in terms of job opportunities and public facilities. Despite having constitutional rights to shelter and dignity, the most vulnerable South Africans have little to no access to adequate shelter, let alone decent housing, and are forced to endure undignified conditions in overcrowded and unsanitary informal settlements.

According to the second draft of the State of Waste Report (SoWR) issued by the Department of Environmental Affairs (DEA) in 2018, South Africans generate roughly 54,2 million tons of general (municipal, commercial, and industrial) waste per year. Of these 54,2 million tons, a maximum of only 10% is recycled or recovered for other uses, whilst the remaining 90% is landfilled or dumped. Metropolitan municipalities in Gauteng have not licensed a single new landfill facility for 24 years, as it was proposed that 70% of the municipal waste streams generated could be feasibly recovered. However, the few remaining operational landfill sites are filling up and approaching closure at a rapid and increasing rate, without future options for new landfills or implementing viable alternative waste disposal or recovery solutions.

This has resulted in an informal income opportunity in the form of waste pickers or reclaimers. These are individuals engaged in collecting recyclable materials from urban refuse at source, landfill sites and elsewhere, which they sell to earn an income and support their families. Recycling plants and recovery facilities are mostly privately owned entities, supported by the government as a sustainable alternative to landfills, however not enforced.

Our aim is to improve the lives of vulnerable South Africans by helping to tackle the lack of alternative waste disposal and recovery options, lack of affordable housing and high unemployment rates by constructing new waste management facilities, renovating inner city buildings into green eco affordable homes and financially supporting community based green SME sustainable businesses. By achieving this aim, we simultaneously contribute to social upliftment and economic growth, whilst decreasing our environmental impact.

For details on how you can get involved contact us